Honoring the history and legacy of the Nathan Cummings family, and the culture and practice of the Foundation that was built over its first 25 years, we affirm the following:
Mission: The Nathan Cummings Foundation is rooted in the Jewish tradition and committed to democratic values and social justice, including fairness, diversity, and community. We seek to build a socially and economically just society that values nature and protects the ecological balance for future generations; promotes humane health care; and fosters arts and culture that enriches communities.
What we believe
- All life is interdependent, and our destiny is shared.
- We have obligations to one another and to future generations.
- With great privilege comes great responsibility.
- We must work to close the gap between America’s promise and practice; and
- We aspire to a society that measures its success by how it treats those who have the least.
- Focusing on what the world needs from NCF, not on what NCF can do for me;
- Focusing on wicked problems and making the “impossible” possible;
- Supporting those who have the least to participate meaningfully in solving the problems that affect them;
- Using innovation, risk-taking and unorthodox thinking to disrupt conventional definitions and political divides and to generate new possibilities and alliances;
- Being uncompromising about long-term goals, but remaining flexible with regard to means;
- Affirming the importance of leadership that is curious, knows when it is stuck, and that is both bold and humble;
- Being willing to fail and to learn from our failures;
- Recognizing the arts, culture and contemplative practice as creative drivers of change;
- Encouraging resilience through solutions that enable individuals, organizations and communities to participate meaningfully in increasing opportunity, preparing for contingencies, and recovering from setbacks and losses; and
- Listening actively, partnering respectfully and affirming a dedication to excellence in all of our practices.